This week I'll be reviewing and recommending a handy piece of free anti-virus software that works called Avira AntiVir. This software is an anti-virus program that I've used on my personal computers for over a year and it has saved my rear more times than I care to mention. (Mainly done through my own bone-headed mistakes or over-active curiosity!)
I know there is a lot of anti-virus software out there, but there are few that can compare to Avira’s features and its non-existent price tag. For the price of the time it takes to download and install you get:
• Real time protection (computer viruses, worms, trojan horses)
• On-demand scanner – Flexible and easy to use!
• Auto Updater - Simple and quick updates, program and virus definitions
• Quarantine for the detected viruses and suspicious files
• Auto Scheduler - To save your time by scanning while you aren't around
• Extensive help system - downloadable manual and online support forums
• Rootkit protection - Detects hidden malware installed in your computer
• High-performance multithreading function (simultaneous high-speed scanning of multiple files)
Avira AntiVir consistently performs at the top or near the top of independent testing of effectiveness of both paid and freeware anti-virus programs across the internet. It monitors every action executed by the user or the operating system and reacts promptly when a malicious program is detected.
It is one of the best if not the best freeware anti-virus solutions on the internet today. With a variety of features and scanning options, Avira allows both the experienced user or the newbie to run scans on their internal or external storage devices. On the downside, AntiVir periodically displays a pop-up window with some promotional info, which can be annoying - but it sure is a small price to pay for using this great antivirus software for free!
Free Software that Works!